WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Friday 20 May 2011

What Winston Churchill and I have in common ...

The short follow-on to that is, not much.


He was courageous to a point far beyond the foolhardy.

I am a craven coward.

He made history; I make a pretty good Coq au Vin.

But in one respect we have similarities.

Churchill was highly emotional. I once read that he was the last public figure in England not afraid to cry in public.

I weep at the drop of a hat. I cry in films. I cried yesterday when reading about the suffering of women in Liberia. I cried during the Royal Wedding.

And I cried this morning when reading a piece in the Irish Times on the Queen's laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Dublin.

It is at least 800 years since the Normans went over to Ireland. For most of that time we - that is our ancestors - behaved appallingly.

I thought it great that the Queen did what she did, and pretty good of Philip, too, when you think how his uncle was killed in Ireland.

Enough of the this sob stuff. I laughed like a drain when I read that the shit Goodwin who did so much to ruin our banking system has been exposed as one of those taking out a super injunction to conceal an affair.

I hope he falls off the pile of money he screwed out of the bank (which means us) and breaks his rapacious neck.

Who would cry? Anybody? I wonder. His mother? Does he have one, or did he just sprout up like a toadstool?

On a totally different subject, I have got not one, not two, but three of the smartest people I know to come to my copy day in Bristol.

I'll make sure they join in, so you can pick their brains.


blog comments powered by Disqus