WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Tuesday 14 February 2012

At the risk of boring you, this is what is happening to your future

In one of my helpful marketing ideas I quote the French Artist, Writer and Film Director Jean Cocteau who once began a speech by saying, "I have said this many times before, but nobody listened, so I will say it again."

I have been saying for a long time that what politicians on both sides of the Atlantic are doing is short-sighted madness. Last week while she who loves to shop with friends was on a nostalgic trip down the King's Road I spent a little time resting in the Chelsea Library, a haven I love.

In there I read The Spectator which has some comments about what it calls "perhaps the biggest financial gamble in British economic history."

They refer to the fact that the little gnomes at the Bank of England are busy printing another £50 billion. Their contributor Bill Jamieson believes Quantitative Easing has pulled Britain into a Zero Era: low interest rates, low growth and low employment.

The price is to be paid by savers, pensioners and consumers. "This is not scrutinised because Sir Mervyn King is seen as being above politics, and his great gamble comes with a long and boring name."

Nassim Taleb, the author of 'Black Swan' whose admirers include David Cameron, has a few choice words for the government: Osborne's five-year plans are 'bulls**t', debt-fuelled growth is 'a Ponzi scheme' and QE is 'a transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich.'

Mr. Taleb is careful to say that he remains an admirer of Cameron. I wonder why.

By the way, if you want to see a very good film, go and get Beauty and the Beast by Cocteau. Then when you've watched that there is a newly remastered version of Les Enfants du Paradis - Children of Paradise, a wonderful film made in the last days of the German Occupation.

How I have loved my time in France!

blog comments powered by Disqus