WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Thursday 13 March 2008

An apology - and a comment

I usually write these things late at night, at insane hours in the early morning or in spare moments - and keep making silly mistakes as a result: yesterday I wrote "worst" instead of worse.

Apologies! I should be ashamed of myself.

But I thought you might be amused by a comment by my Aussie partner:

Further to your "lingerie is the new black", just saw some proprietary research for a charity that says "good is the new black". They gotta be kidding.

I might add that apart from being stupid they are wrong in implying that charity is all of a sudden in favour. Most charities are finding it harder than ever to raise money.

As usual researchers have it all wrong, because they a) actually believe what people say and b) actually believe that people know what they are going to do.

The best quote on this: "If I'd asked the customers they would have said they wanted a faster horse" - Henry Ford

My best recent example is an ad I wrote for the Prudential which research revealed the customers would never read. They much preferred another ad done by an agency called Tequila. My ad outpulled it by ten to one.

A footnote to this: you might think that after beating that agency in every one of series of tests we would have got the business. Of course not. Big businesses don't work that way. They prefer neat arrangements to more profit.

blog comments powered by Disqus