WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Monday 23 November 2009

Watch out, Google’s about. Keep an eye on this … or risk failure

The picture has nothing to do with Google. It's me in the Old London bar in Minsk last Sunday, and it's there just because I like it.

Now to business, with a statistic for you.

The penetration of mobile phones in Romania is 130%. Yes. More mobiles than people.

How about home computers? A fraction of that.

Don't think Romania has nothing to do with you? It’s the same everywhere. More mobiles than computers. Usually a lot more.

While you think about that, here’s a little quiz.

1. Which is easier to use? A computer or a phone?

2. Which is quickest to turn on?

3. Is it easier to respond via text or via e-mail?

4. Are you always as close to your computer as you are to your phone?

5. Can the mobile now do many things a computer can?

6. How soon before it can do all – and more?

The answers to those questions explain why last week I did a video interview with Henry Cazalet whose business is text marketing.

I think anyone who misses the boat on this will end up like a lot of those who failed to realise the implications of the internet. On the street.

I was greatly intrigued by what Henry said - especially the figures on what happens if you add text response to your ads, and I will be putting the interview out as part of the Commonsense Marketing Programme I mentioned on Friday. These interviews are all with people who can help you do better - or avoid doing worse.

Now, here's what my friend Glenmore told me about Google’s latest venture, which is relevant, to say the least.

They’re going to launch a system offering free calls - along with what sounds like a hell of a handset.

For the first time, one company will control everything from the software in users’ phones to the services they use to make calls and surf the web.

The Googlephone will have a large touchscreen display and a processor almost twice as fast as Apple’s iPhone 3GS.

Interesting times.

And thank you again for so many replies to my Friday blog. I e-mailed the oldest part of my helpful ideas list and got a very high response.

Many of you wanted a clearer idea of what I was on about. You can do so if you go to http://www.draytonbird.net/dbl/index.asp. You will see 3 very short videos there If you vote, you'll then get more details.

Then if you're still interested, well, I will be looking for a few real live guinea pigs soon** I should say that we already have a few people who want to ahead anyhow, so let me know if you're interested.

** When I was lecturing in Peru a few years ago I discovered that the national dish is guinea pig. Like a cross between chicken and rabbit. Not bad, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

blog comments powered by Disqus