WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Friday 18 June 2010

Built-in idiocy at work: more Micro-communication, less sense. And thank you, George Machun

One of the few bits of Latin I can remember is the phrase "The mountain laboured to bring forth a mouse."


Many of you, I am sure, are as baffled as I am by the way the intellectual dwarves who run Microsoft product development manage, seemingly without thought or effort, to piss away millions so as to come up with new stuff that is almost invariably worse than whatever existed previously.

The example that drives me crazy is a completely useless thing called Docx which means I infuriate half the people I correspond with as they can't read it.

To be fair, though, nothing could possibly outdo the gizmo claiming to correct your grammar. This seems to have been put together by some nitwit who can't speak a word of English, as almost without exception the advice it gives is the reverse of whatever is correct.

Come to think of it, very few IT people can speak English, so that may be the reason.

Anyhow, this preamble brings me to my friend George Machun, who after working on the Microsoft account has for the last few years been trying to get the folk at San Francisco State to market themselves properly.

He just wrote to me about the latest threat to my sanity from Microsoft which is promoted with the dire line
Get the new Office 2010! 5 improved tools for home, work and school. Did anyone get paid to write that?

As he noted:

The best line was “budget planning tools that make vacations a reality”. Note to Microsoft, money makes vacations a reality, not Excel spreadsheets! And the funny part is MS spends BIG $$$ on research that results in this crap. Can you imagine the hours of meetings and conference calls it took to produce what amounts to a benefit-free piece of advertising?

I can, George, indeed I can.

P. S. Note to those interested: I shall be working on my writing seminars today - news later. And I also plan to use Survey Monkey to find out what else you would like to hear about.

blog comments powered by Disqus