WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Tuesday 5 January 2010

Feet in the oven, head in the fridge?

The most amusing demolition of statistical tripe may be the joke that if my feet are in the oven and my head in the fridge my temperature may be on average normal.

I was reminded of this on seeing that web expert Gerry McGovern says the ideal length for a page on a regular web site (not a landing page) is 300 words. 50% of visitors will read all a 300-word page, but only 5% will scan 1,000 words.

"Ideal" meaning what?

The question is, which readers will read the longer copy; and which the shorter? And which among them will be most interested? No prizes for guessing - and heaven preserve us from experts.

blog comments powered by Disqus