WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Friday 1 January 2010

A new year joke. Don't all laugh at once

I found this in a magnificent book of old Punch Cartoons given to me by my ex-wife and friend Pam.


The book has convinced me that few things wear as badly as yesterday's jokes. But it does contain an enormous amount of fascinating social history - and some subjects seem funny to all generations.

There's a remarkable number of jokes about downtrodden husbands and other traditional subjects. This one from John Leech - which did make me smile slightly - dates back over 150 years. Since my son Nick has just got engaged to a beautiful girl from Dundee, and the new year is always associated with Scotland, it seems pretty timely, and has nothing to do with the fact that I have a Scots client who owes me a few thousand quid.

Having got that off my chest, a happy New Year to all of you.

blog comments powered by Disqus