WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Saturday 9 January 2010

Weird shit going on here - don't confuse change with improvement - well, not yet, anyhow

You know those silly signs you sometimes see? A building is getting tarted up and they say something like, "Please forgive our appearance while we do ... whatever ... but soon you'll see our wonderful new etc., etc."

Then nothing happens for months before something not much better than the original appears ...

This is not to be confused with those inane corporate jerk-offs initiated by navel-gazers in the marketing department. You know the kind I mean. They pay consultants like Wolff Olins* £68 million to dream up a new name like Expensis complete with hideous logo plastered everywhere to confuse you and a new set of prices to piss you off ...

Which all goes to show you should never confuse change with improvement, and leads me to ask forgiveness if you suddenly see this blog festooned with videos of musicians playing in bars in Indonesia rather than me talking rubbish about the meaning of life ...

The thing is, I suddenly find I have all kinds of stuff floating around in Cyberloonydom so if I don't get it all to look vaguely similar even I will start to wonder who I am.

Accordingly, then, please forgive my appearance etc., etc. because everything is going to be wonderful ... and if you believe that, you'll believe anything, as the Duke of Wellington said when a man came up and asked him if he was Mr. Smith ...

* The criminals responsible for the astoundingly ugly 2012 Olymics logo

blog comments powered by Disqus