WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Neither Spick Nor Span - Just rather sloppy like my spelling, but more infuriating

I'm sorry, but this is all going to be rather tedious, so let's start with one of my favourites:


"We can always bear with equanimity the misfortunes of our friends" - De la Rochefoucauld.

Since it takes weeks to get internet broadband here in my new home town - really an old home town as I shall explain - I'm in a charity cafe (what a good idea) typing this.

Things did not improve after the failure to get our couch into the flat. Being nitwits we had no idea how to turn on the heat, so the weekend was spent at around zero degrees. But the misery was exacerbated by the negligence of a firm called Spic n Span - if that's how they spell their name.

The previous occupants of our flat had cleaned up afterwards, but She Who Rules This Cranky Old Bird's Roost wanted it immaculate. A really deep clean, costing 60% more per hour than the cleaning done in London was arranged. So when we arrived, exhausted, it was dispiriting to find traces of dirt here, there and everywhere.

The lady supervisor was summoned, expressed dismay, and said it would be fixed. But it wasn't. We (that is She Who Rules etc.) spent two hours cleaning shelves, tops of cupboards etc. while I watched and took incriminating photos - sample left above.

This time the Supervisor sang a different tune. "Anyone could have taken those pictures," she said. And indeed anyone who had nothing better to do could. To which was added, "You didn't allow enough time for the job."

Since she was the one who said 16 hours would be enough ...

Well, this is getting to be a bore.

But I was amazed that cleaners in London could do a better job for £10 an hour than they did in Bristol for £16.

I like Bristol, though. The reason I feel at home is that a fair bit of it is named after my mother's family - Colston. But they have a really odd bus service, which seems to involve a mandatory tour of the city wherever you're going.

Oh, and I see I misspelt embarrassing in my last piece. Oh dear.

Anyhow, here's something else for you from De la Rochefoucauld: "Good advice is something a man gives when he is too old to set a bad example".

I can really relate to that.

blog comments powered by Disqus