WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Sunday 9 August 2009

Thoughts on the idiot's goldfish bowl

To me every day when I meet someone or learn something new and interesting is a wonderful day.

I don't count on TV much in that respect. Maybe it's the churlishness of old age.

However, yesterday having laboured over my current nightmares for few hours, I looked to see what the fool's lantern had to offer. Not a lot. Hundreds of channels almost entirely choked with garbage.

Then, quite by chance, I ended up watching a programme about Ireland. I'm a great fan of the country. I once went there for a weekend and spent two weeks, and I love the stories about the old Brehons.

Anyhow, the programme was wonderful.

I learned about Ogham, the ancient Irish form of writing. I discovered how places I visited, like Waterford and Wexford, got their names (from old Norse). I saw a fantastic railway line designed by Brunel that runs along perilous seaside cliffs, an 800 year old lighthouse first built by a Norman warrior, and the recreation of an 1849 experiment on a beach that led to the science of seismology - for which we have to thank a Dubliner called Mallet.

Glorious stuff - all on the Open University channel. There were probably only about 17 of us watching it because The Apprentice was on at the same time, but I know who got most value.

My only worry is that I learned a while ago that the Open University has a marketing department of 40. The devil usually find work for idle hands to do, so I hope we're not going to be afflicted by a plague of "station idents".

On a totally different subject, I keep wondering why every time Microsoft brings out a new version of something it's more complicated and far worse than it was before. Maybe they operate in the same way as the great Toad's lunatic tax system.

blog comments powered by Disqus