WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Friday 9 March 2012

Indecision runs riot – and a week of yakkety-yak

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions about what might interest you in the way of seminars.

The result created a certain sense of schizophrenia. There was very little difference in number between those who wanted a seminar on integrated marketing and those who wanted one on copy.

Quite a few people said they wanted me to do something in the U.S. as well. I have a lurking suspicion they were mostly those who just hope I'll leave this country in peace.

Anyhow, the solution is simple. I shall do seminars on copy and integrated - probably here in Bristol, because I find it convenient, at the end of May.

I am talking to someone in Denver about doing something there. I know nothing about Denver except I always thought John Elway was a great quarterback.

I spent most of the last week talking, and much as I adore the sound of my own voice it was excessive, especially as I had copy to write for two clients.

The most interesting day was a talk to some bright young people from marketing agencies. Not one of them had heard of Claude Hopkins or John Caples.

After that I had a splendid lunch at the Ivy Club with one of the cleverest and surely the funniest man in this business - Rory Sutherland. If you've never seen Rory, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=audakxABYUc.

Rory will be speaking again at EADIM this year, and so will I.

All the presentations will be new. I have decided to have as my title "I wouldn't do that if I were you". This will be dedicated to a rundown of twenty or so of the more spectacularly stupid things people do in marketing.

It took me about 10 minutes to make a list, but it will take me much longer to make it interesting enough to keep you awake.

EADIM is on October 3/4/5/6 - just a cocktail party on the first night, though.

I thought I'd sold all the seats, but there are still seven. I don't expect them to hang around long as I have a little deal coming up.

The day after the talk I was doing a video interview, where one of the questions was "What do you think direct marketers should be learning about now." I said, "What they should always have been learning, but most haven't."

I think that's quite enough marketing for this week, don't you?

blog comments powered by Disqus