WELCOME TO THE DRAYTON BIRD BLOG - Commonsense about marketing, business and life

Leave now if easily shocked or politically correct. Otherwise, please leave your comments. Statements such as "brilliant", "hugely perceptive", "what a splendid man" and "can I buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice" are all greeted with glee.

If you like, I'll e-mail you each new dollop of drivel when I publish it. Just click here to subscribe. If you want to succeed faster, get my 101 helpful marketing ideas, one every 3 days. People love them - maybe because they're free. Go to www.draytonbirdcommonsense.com and register. You also a get a free copy of the best marketing book ever written

Monday 22 March 2010

What I told Julie about how to get ahead - it may help someone you know

I get a lot of requests for advice, and try to answer all of them.

It always makes me feel good when people come back and tell me what happened - which Julie in Australia did.

She said, "You gave me some good advice about 12 months ago regarding my career and you opened doors".

So what advice did I give? It was very brief, and read:

"During the few years when I was employable (I was an incorrigible rebel) I decided I should only work for two kinds of company:

1. Those that are so good you are bound to learn something and meet the right kind of colleague.

2. Those that are desperate for help, know they need it,and will pay you very well for giving it.

My old boss David Ogilvy always said "When you are young, what you learn is more important than what you earn."

Therefore, look for companies whose marketing you admire - be they agency or marketer - and do a little research on them, then try and find out what they're like to work for.

By the way, I am old, and I still think what I learn matters more than anything else."

What is interesting is that Julie didn't go for a new job. She decided to study - and enjoyed it. Me too.

blog comments powered by Disqus